Franchise Awards 2003 - Full Results
by Simon Lord, last updated on 12th November 2010
Mike Pero Mortgages has been named the Westpac Supreme Award winner in the New Zealand Franchise Awards 2003
Mike Pero Mortgages has been named the Westpac Supreme Award winner in the New Zealand Franchise Awards 2003. The Award was made at a gala dinner on 1st November, when representatives of the $10 billion-plus franchise sector gathered in Auckland.
Mike Pero Mortgages has sustained a strong period of profitable growth with successful franchises now established throughout New Zealand. Maurice Mehlhopt, a senior judge for the Awards, says that from day one Mike Pero believed in the power of strong branding and is now established as the most recognisable brand in mortgage broking in New Zealand. 'In addition, over the past two years the company has combined this branding strength with a considerable investment in systems and systems support,' he says.
'Over the past 12 years, Mike has established an extremely successful customer-focused business and the company is a very worthy winner of this year's Westpac Supreme Award,' says Maurice Mehlhopt.
The Supreme Award is presented for the best overall entry. Other winners were as follows:
Franchise System of the Year
Pete's Post won the ANZ Bank-sponsored award for Franchise System of the Year. The company has developed a niche in the market as an alternative postage provider for private, commercial and industrial users. Gael McDonald, Awards Judge, says having judged the Pete's Post franchise last year she was interested to see the developments in the past 12 months and was delighted to see that the growth has been impressive.
'The expansion of their business in both the North and the South Island has resulted in exponential financial growth from an annual turnover of $8m in 2001 to $16.2m in 2003.'
'Denise and Murray McBeth continue to show exceptionally strong leadership and vision of the franchise system and, with a "leading-by-example" philosophy, have clearly initiated strategies resulting in considerable growth,' she says. This is the second major award for Denise, who earlier in 2003 was named "Business Woman of the Year".
Master Franchisee of the Year
Awards Judge Warwick Grey says master franchisee Dennis Gilderdale of Crest Commercial Cleaning in Hamilton stood out as being the top master franchisee in New Zealand for a number of reasons.
'Dennis Gilderdale has well developed systems and has developed firm relationships with franchisees and their customers. He represents a strong national brand and delivers great leadership to the franchisees,' he says.
'Excellent quality control and staff training are evident in his operations.' The Master Franchisee of the Year title was sponsored by Brebner Print.
Franchisee of the Year
Winners of the Franchisee of the Year Award Sharon Heincen and Alan Phillip, own two franchises and run them as one business.
Awards Judge Heather Douglas says: 'We were impressed with Sharon and Alan's clear personal goals and the way they were using their businesses to achieve these. Having built one successful franchise, they were able to maintain the momentum through effective management strategies, while putting their personal efforts into taking over an established, but underperforming, second store and significantly increasing performance across all key areas, including turnover and profitability.'
The victory in the franchisee category, sponsored by Franchise New Zealand magazine and website, marks the third successive year that Baker's Delight have been recognised in the New Zealand Franchise Awards .
- Franchise Exporter: Cleantastic
- Business Leadership: PORSE Nanny Childcare Network (NZ) Ltd (Award sponsors Franchize Consultants (NZ) Ltd)
- Excellence in Customer Service: Mortgage Choice Kapi-Mana, Wellington (Award sponsors @Your Request Franchise Group)
- Team Excellence: The $2 Shop (Award sponsors Action International)
- Innovation & Technology: Visique Ltd
- Most Promising Franchise System: Cleantastic (Award sponsors PORSE Nanny Network)
- Brand Communication: Milk Vending Systems Ltd
- First Time Entrant: Action International-Lindsay Kepple, Coaching 4 Business (Award sponsors Expro NZ)
- Contribution to the Community: Bakers Delight (NZ) Ltd (Award sponsors Rory MacDonald Law)
- Auckland/Northland: Bakers Delight (NZ) Ltd
- Bay of Plenty/Waikato: Brumby's Rotorua, Brumby's Taupo (Award sponsors Harris Tate)
- Hawkes Bay: PORSE Hastings Nanny Childcare
- Taranaki: Petes Post Ltd (Award sponsors Govett Quilliam)
- Wellington/Manawatu: Brumby's Porirua
- Christchurch: Brumby's Barringtons
- Dunedin: Mortgage Choice (NZ) Ltd (Award sponsors GS McLauchlin & Co)
2003 marked the ninth year of the New Zealand Franchise Awards, which are organised by the Franchise Association of New Zealand.
Send for a free copy of our print magazine, the authority on buying a franchise.